Kenneth F. Corneau, still United Steel’s president, started the company in 1974 as East Hartford Welding. He sold his car and motorcycle to purchase a truck and welding machine and began traveling from Vernon to East Hartford repairing dumpsters. Within a year, he was renting about 800 square feet of space at 1205 Main Street in East Hartford. There, he started fabricating dumpsters, rails, stairs, and miscellaneous metals. In 1975, Mr. Corneau added 800 square feet to his shop and hired his first employee. Through vision and hard work, the company (known as East Hartford Welding) continued to expand and by 1978 two additional employees were added. Both employees remain with United Steel today.